Do you want to create bootable USB without using any software in Windows 10? If yes then you are at right page. As here you will get to know about the full process of creating a bootable USB.
How To Create Bootable USB
Insert the USB flash drive to your system.
Hit the Windows button and type ‘cmd’. Right click on a Command Prompt option. Alternatively, you can open the CMD by using Windows buttons + R button combination. A box will appear where you need to type cmd and press enter.
When command prompt opens type diskpart and press enter. Wait for a while till a new cmd screen or new window pop-ups.
In new pop-up windows type list disk and press enter. It will show you the list of all active disks on your system.
Most probably you will see two Disk types:
- Disk 0 which represents the hard drive
- Disk 1 which represents the USB flash drive
– As we are here to create bootable USB without using any software in Windows 10- we will choose Disk 1.
-Type select disk 1 in same window and press enter. It will show you message ‘Disk 1 is now the selected disk’. This simply means that any further action which you perform applies on disk 1 or USB flash drive.
-Type clean and press enter. This will clear all the data from your USB flash drive. In other words, the Clean command will format the USB flash drive.
Note: If you have any important data in your USB flash drive then you need to make a backup first and follow all the procedure again. If you don’t care about your data then you can proceed further.
When you press enter after entering the clean command you will get a message ‘diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk’.
Now type create partition primary and press enter. It will show you message ‘diskpart succeeded in creating the specified partition’.
- Type select partition 1 and press enter. This command will pick the partition 1 for setting up it as an active partition.
- Type active and press enter. The current partition will be activated with this command.
- Type format fs=ntfs quick and press enter. USB flash drive will be formatted with NTFS file system with this command.
- Type exit and press enter. It will close the diskpart program but make sure you don’t close the cmd window.
Now before moving further let’s assume the USB’s drive is G: drive and the DVD installer is located on drive E:. We are mentioning DVD installer here as most of you might have inserted a DVD from where you directly copy the data to create a bootable USB drive.
By default Command Prompt’s active path is C:\Windows\System32> when you access it using administrator permission. Make sure that there is DVD inside the DVD installer. Now we will tell you how you can redirect the command prompt to set on E:.
Coming back to same cmd screen type E: (replace it with your DVD drive) and press enter.
- Type cd boot and press enter. This will change the active directory to E:\boot>
- Type bootsect /nt60 g: and press enter. This command will create the boot sector on G: Driver
- Type exit and press enter.
Till now you will successfully able to create the bootable USB drive and your USB flash drive is ready to use as boot media.
Now to install the Windows from the bootable USB drive you need to copy all the installation files which are present on DVD installer. To follow this price you need to take help of command prompt again.
Open the command prompt again as administrator. When it opens type xcopy e: \ *. * G: \ / E / H / F and press enter. Wait for a while till copying process finished.
Hope this guide helps you to create bootable USB without using any software in Windows 10. If you are not able to follow any step then feel free to tell us in the below comment section.